10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Entry is permitted until 4:30 p.m.
The Museum is closed every Wednesday. When a national holiday falls on a Wednesday, the Museum is closed instead on the following day.
The Museum is closed from December 28 until January 4 for the year-end and New Year period .
◇ The Museum may be closed because of bad weather.
When a storm warning is announced for Osaka city and the northern Osaka area, and also when the Natural and Cultural Garden is closed because of the weather, the Museum will also be closed. For further information, please call 06-6876-2151.
|Admission Charges for the Permanent Exhibitions|
|Individual||Groups (20 persons or more)|
|Students (High school, college and university)||\250||\200|
|Children (Primary and junior high school)||Free||Free|
- An additional charge may be necessary for Special Exhibitions.
- Admission is free every Saturday for primary school, junior high school, and high school students. (An admission fee is charged to enter the Natural and Cultural Gardens.)
- Visitors who qualify for a discounted admission charge
The following visitors qualify for a discounted admission charge (please present documentation)
- University, college, graduate, and vocational school students who use the Museum as part of their course work. (Conditions apply; please submit a syllabus or curriculum as evidence.)
- Those who have visited the Museum within the previous three months.
- Visitors aged 65 and over. (Please present a document that shows your age.)
Discounted Admission Charge
(for the Permanent Exhibitions only)
Adults \350 Students \200 Children \90
- On some days of the year, admission is free.
- Admission Free Days in 2018
September 15 (Sat), November 17 (Sat), November 18 (Sunday)
- Admission Free Days in 2019
February 24 (Sunday), March 10 (Sun)
- Admission Free Days in 2018
- Admission is free every Saturday for primary school, junior high school, and senior high school students.
- Admission is free for a visitor with a disabled person’s pass and also for their attendant as well. Starting March 1, 2006, fees for parking in the lots around the Expo Park will be waived on some days. For further details, please call the Expo Park.
- Entering the Natural and Cultural Gardens
If you purchase a Museum ticket at the entrance to the Natural and Cultural Gardens, you can pass through the garden for free (admission fee: \250).
If you are a member of The Minpaku Associates, you may pass through the Natural and Cultural Gardens without charge, as long as you present your membership card at the entrance to the garden.
* Visitors who use the Museum on Admission Free Days will need to purchase a ticket if they wish to pass through the Natural and Cultural Gardens.
Entering the Museum
- Groups of twenty or more are eligible for a group discount.
- Please make a reservation for a group visit prior to the event. Application form
- School teachers who are responsible for the group tour are free of charge.
- Groups of visitors with disabilities are required to submit a publicly authorized certificate with the seal of the institution, stating the date of visit, the group name, the number of visitors with disabilities and accompanying staff members on the visiting day.
Fees for parking in the lots around the Expo Park will be waived on some days. For further details, please call the Expo Park.Expo Park website
- Only one group-visit ticket is issued per group. Payment is made when the group arrives at the museum. We cannot accept payment for the ticket before or after the visit. This ticket is non-refundable so please double check the number of visitors before the purchase.
※Discount coupons are not applicable for group-visit tickets.
- Admission to the Museum is free every Saturday for primary school, junior high school, and senior high school students, however students will need to purchase a ticket if they wish to pass through the Natural and Cultural Gardens.
Viewing the Exhibition
We would like to ask group leaders to collect copies of the “Visitors’ Guide” at the reception desk located on the 1st floor and distribute them to the group members before entering the exhibition hall.
Please purchase the “Group-visit Ticket” at the ticketing office located on the 2nd floor.
Entrance Hall of the Main Exhibition Building
Joining Minpaku Seminars, Minpaku Film Shows, Special Lectures and Performances, Lectures for the Minpaku Associates, etc.
Visiting with a Tour Bus
There is no parking lot exclusively for Museum visitors. Please park at the Nihon-Teien-Mae Parking Lot, which is a five-minute walk to the Museum, and use the gate that is designated for Museum visitors. See details here.
Other means of transportation
- Please make a reservation in advance for group visits.
Download reservation form
- We recommend that event organizers and school group leaders visit the museum prior to the event.
- Copies of the "Visitors' Guide" can be obtained upon request during a pre-visit, or they can be sent by post, COD.
A “Group-Visit Guide” that includes tips for organizing a group tour as well as museum policies and security instructions can be downloaded in a pdf file.
- Approximately fifty Minpaku Digital Guides are available. Please make a reservation in advance.
About the Minpaku Digital Guide
- A Workbook entitled "仮面編" is available as study material for children, and topic sheets entitled "Coming-of-age Rituals in Korea", "Wayang Kulit", "路傍の石像", and "お正月" are also available
Download topic sheets
- We also lend "Introduction to Minpaku Video" DVDs that are useful for pre-visit study.
Application Form: Please download and fill out an application form should you wish to borrow the “Introduction to Minpaku Video” DVD, and send it to the Museum by fax. The DVD can be returned when you visit the Museum, or by post.
- A learning kit for children, called Min-pack, is rented to schools and other educational institutions. Please use it as a tool before and after visits to the museum. See here for details.
Public Relations Planning Section, Office of Administration
National Museum of Ethnology
10-1 Senri Expo Park,
Suita, Osaka 565-8511,