- B.A. Tokyo National Univ. of Fine Arts and Music 1986
- M.A. Tokyo National Univ. of Fine Arts and Music 1991
Ethnomusicological Research on Southeast Asian Traditional Music
Current Research Topics
A Comparative Study on Gong Cultures of Southeast Asia
West Java, Indonesia, Southeast Asia, Japan, Sundanese, Ethnomusicology
Publications (English publications only)
- Gamelan Degung: Traditional Music in Contemporary West Java. In S. Yamashita and J. S. Eades (eds.) Globalization in Sountheast Asia: Local, National, and Transnational Perspectives, pp. 95–110. New York and Oxford: Berghahn Books.
- MMC (3): Indonesia. In S. Sugita, J. K. Hong, T. Fujii, J. Reeve and G. Gay (eds.) Global Digital Museum (GDM) for Museum Education on the Internet (Senri Ethnological Reports 28), pp. 142–145. National Museum of Ethnology.
- “Cultural Policy on Sundanese Performing Arts at the Turn of the Century.” The Micrology of Indonesian Local Societies, 23 March, Jakarta.
- “Sundanese Traditional Music in Radio Broadcasting, the 1930s–1950s.” The International Conference on Sundanese Culture (Konferensi Internasional Budaya Sunda), 22–25 August, Gedung Merdeka, Bandung.
- “Javanese Gamelan in Japan.” Audiences, Patrons, and Performers in the Performing Arts of Asia Including the 6th Annual CHIME Conference, 24 August, Leiden University.