SAGARA KeikoSAGARA Keiko
Department of Advanced Human Sciences・Assistant Professor
Individual Research ProjectsPersonal website http://www.r.minpaku.ac.jp/ksagara/index.html
- Sign Language Typology, Deaf education
- Historical Changes in Japanese Sign Language and Taiwan Sign Language: Applying Historical-sociolinguistic Methods to Sign Language
- MPhil. University of Central Lancashire, Preston, UK, 2014
- M.A. University of Tsukuba, Japan 1999
- B.A. National Institution for Academic Degrees and Quality Enhancement of Higher Education, Education, Japan 1995
- Studying new methods of comparing sign languages both synchronically and diachronically
- Numeral systems in sign languages around the world
- The need for Deaf Interpreters in deaf communities around the world
Sign Language Typology, Historical linguistics of sign languages, Japanese Sign Language, Taiwan Sign Language
Publications (English publications only)
- (with Ulrike Zeshan) A Comparative Typological Study. In U. Zeshan, and K. Sagara （eds.）, Semantic Fields in Sign Languages: Colour, Kinship and Quantification. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter & Nijmegen: Ishara Press, pp. 3‒37.
- Aspects of Number and Kinship Terms in Japanese Sign Language. In U. Zeshan, & K. Sagara (eds.) Semantic Fields in Sign Languages. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter and Nijmegen: Ishara Press, pp. 298-328.
- (with Angela Nonaka, Kate Mesh) Signed Names in Japanese Sign Language: Linguistic and Cultural Analyses, Sign Languages Studies 16（1）, pp. 57‒85.
- (with Ulrike Zeshan, Nick Palfreyman) Methods in Carrying Out Language Typological research. Research Methods in Sign Language Studies: A Practical Guide. Wiley-Blackwell, pp. 173-192.
- (with Nick Palfreyman) Counting the difference: Variation in the number systems of Japanese, Taiwan and South Korean Sign Language. The 12th International Conference on Theoretical Issues in Sign Language Research(TISLR12), Melbourne, Australia. January 4-7, 2016
- Numeral Systems in Sign Languages Across the World. The XVIIth World Congress of the World Federation of the Deaf, Istanbul. July 28-August 1, 2015
- Historical Relationship between the Numeral Signs of Japan, Taiwan and South Korea Sign Languages. The International Summer School 2014: Current Issues in Sign Language Linguistics (CISL) . August 29, 2014
- (with Nick Palfreyman) Counting the difference: variation in the number systems of Japanese, Taiwan and South Korean Sign Language. New Ways of Analysing Variation Asia-Pacific 3. May 1-3, 2014