National Museum of Ethnology
10-1 Senri Expo Park, Suita, Osaka 565-8511, Japan
- Resarch Top/
- Research Activities/
- Research Organization and Staff/
- Staff Members /
- TODA Mikako
- B.A. Kobe Univ. 2006
- M.A. Kyoto Univ. 2010
- PhD. Kyoto Univ. 2013
- An Anthropological Study on Subsistence and Care Practice of Persons with Disabilities
Current Research Topics
- Persons with Disabilities and Business in Africa: A Case Study of Cross-Border Trade in the Congo River
- Practical Research on the Peoples and Social Organizations to Prevent Over-Use of Forest Resources in Central African
Central Africa, Cameroon, Congo, Persons with Disabilities, Resource
- “Trans-Border Persons with Disabilities: Their Disability Business at the Congo River and the State.” In Mori, S. (ed.) Disability and Development in Africa: Towards SDGs. Chiba: the Institute of Developing Economies, JETRO, pp. 153-193. (in Japanese)
- Disabled People who Cross the Border: An Ethnographic Study of Persons with Disabilities Living in the African Rain Forest, Tokyo: Akashishoten. (in Japanese)
- “Sociality of People with Disabilities in Cameroon: An Anthropological Study on their Subsistence and Care Practice.” Ph.D. diss., Kyoto University. (in Japanese)
- “Social Welfare in Cameroon.” In Usami, K., H. Kotani and S. Kondo (eds.) Global Social Welfare Year Book 2012. Tokyo: Junposha, pp. 607-642. (in Japanese)
- “Care” Embedded in Daily Practice: The Case of People with Physical Disabilities in South-eastern Cameroon. Asian and African Area Studies 10(2): 176-219. (In Japanese with an English abstract)
Publications (English publications only)
- (With Olivero, J., J. E. Fa, M. A. Farfán. J. Lewis, B. Hewlett, T. Breuer, G. M. Carpaneto. M. Fernandez, F. Germi. S. Hattori, A. Noss, D. O. Ekoumou, P. Paulin, R. Real. M. Riddell, E. G. J. Stevenson, J. M. Vargas, H. Yasuoka, R. Nasi.) “Distribution and numbers of Pygmies in Central African forests.” PLoS ONE, 11(1) e0144499
- “Systematization of NTFPs and Inter-ethnic Relationships among the Baka hunter-gathers and Bantu farmers.” ORAL PAPERS of FOSAS International Symposium, pp.339-358.
- “Peoples and Social Organizations in Gribe, Southeastern Cameroon.” African Study Monographs Supplementary Issue 49: 139–168.
- “People with Disabilities in the Tropical Forests of South-eastern Cameroon: Practice and Social Context.” Proceedings of International Workshop for Joint Research Projects on Asia and African Area Studies: 1-8.
- “Systematization of NTFPs and Inter-ethnic Relationships among the Baka hunter-gathers and Bantu farmers.” In: FOSAS International Symposium, Hotel MONT FÉBÉ, Yaoundé, Cameroon (November 12, 2015)
- “Disability and the Life Course among the Hunter-gatherers and Agriculturalists living in Cameroon.” In: International Symposium ‘How Do Biomedicines Shape Life, Sociality and Landscape?,’ National Museum of Ethnology, Osaka, Japan (September 26, 2015).
- “People with Disabilities Crossing the Boundary between Hunter Gatherer and Agricultural Societies.” In: the 11th International Conference on Hunting and Gathering Societies (CHaGS 11). Session: ‘Hunter-gatherer Affluence: Social and Material Perspectives’ University of Vienna, Austria (September 8, 2015).
- “Caring in Inter-ethnic Relationships: Physical Disabilities among the Baka People of Southeastern Cameroon.” In: the 10th International Conference on Hunting and Gathering Societies (CHaGS 10). Session: 'Is There a Hunter-gatherer Mode of Sociality?' (Organizer: Penny Spikins), University of Liverpool, United Kingdom. (June 26, 2013)
- “Beggars with Disabilities in Yaounde: Their Life Strategies and Social Networks.” In: the Join Seminar for the Research Group of Central Africa and the Center for Islamic Area Studies, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan (July 27, 2011).
- “The Changes in the Daily Lives of People with Disabilities and the Actors: Focus on their Gender-based Social Structure in Southeastern Cameroon.” In: Pre-Forum Session for the 7th International Research Meeting: The Role of African Studies for “African Crisis,” Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan (May 26, 2011).
- (With Chie, Yochimura) "Les études comparatives sur les personnes handicapées au Cameroun et en Thaïlande.” In: Réunion des problèmes modernes sur les personnes handicapées, Foumban, Cameroon (September 5, 2009).
- “People with Disabilities in the Tropical Rain Forest of South-eastern Cameroon: Their Practice and its Social Context.” In: Session 2 “Care Practice for Elder and People with Disabilities in Asia and Africa.” TDS Hotel, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (February 26, 2009).