- Phar. B. Kyoto Univ. 1968
- Phar.M. Kyoto Univ. 1972
- Phar.D. Kyoto Univ. 1975
Anthropology of Relaxation: The studies on technologies and meanings of alcohol beverage, bath, hot spring, sleeping etc. which are related to relaxation and to altered consciousness.
Area Studies of Oceania: Study of cultural characteristics of Oceania area in all.
Recent Research Interests:
I take interest in alcoholic beverage and culture of sleeping at present. Encyclopedia of Alcoholic Beverage in the World is being edited and Origins of Alcoholic Beverage is preparing. On the study of sleeping, Culture of Sleepwear is being edited and sleeping of children is focused in this year. The forum of this topic will be held in the spring of the next year. And then, the collective papers on vegetative agriculture are being edited and will be seen at the summer of the next year.
Geographical areas of Interest:
Oceania, Southeast Asia, World
Austranesian group, Austro-Asian Group, Iwam (Papua New Guinea)
Cultural Anthropology, Area Studies
- Characteristics of Egyption boza and a fermentable yeast strain isolated from the wheat bread. Word Journal of Microbiology & Biotechnology 17:241-243 (collaborated with Y. Teramoto and S. Ueda).
- The Origins of Fermented Soybeans and Their Distribution. Proceedings: The Thied International Soybean Processing and Utilization Conference. Korin Publishing Co. Ltd. P.697-717
- An Indigenous Rice Beer of Nagaland, India. Ferment April/May, pp.39-41 (Collaborated with Yuji Teramoto and Seinosuke Ueda)
- Numeral Classifiers among the May River Iwam. . In YOSHIDA, Shuji and YukioTOYODA 1998 (eds. ), Fringe Area of Highlands in Papua New Guinea. . Senri Ethnological Studies 47, pp.113-138, Osaka: National Museum of Ethnology.
- Fringe Area of Highlands in Papua New Guinea. Senri Ethnological Studies 47, Osaka: National Museum of Ethnology (co-edited with Yukio Toyota).
- Contemporary Migration in Oceania: Diaspora and Network. JCAS Symposium Series 3, Osaka: The Japan Center for Area Studies, National Museum of Ethnology(co-edited with Kenich Sudo).
- Migration Routes of the Iwam, East Sepik Province, Papua New Guinea. Man andCulture in Oceania 3 (Special Issue, 1987): 177-189
- "Epidemiology and Cultural Anthropology: Their Possible Collaboration. " TAJIMAKazuo and Shunro SONODA (eds. ), Ethno-epidemiology of Cancer, pp.79-86 JapanScientific Societies Press, Tokyo, Nov. 1996. (Collaborated with Mitsuho IKEDA)
- Time Reckoning. In Naomichi Ishige (ed. ), the Galela of Halmahera, Senri Ethnological Studies No.7, pp.89-107
- Folk Orientation in Halmahera with Special Reference to Insular Southeast Asia. InNaomichi Ishige (ed. ), the Galela of Halmahera, Senri Ethnological Studies No.7, pp.19-88
- Folk Classification of Sago Palm (Metroxylon spp. ). In Naomichi Ishige (ed. ), the Galela of Halmahera, Senri Ethnological StudiesNo.7, pp.109-117
- Cultivated Bananas among the Galela. In Naomichi Ishige (ed. ), the Galela of Halmahera, Senri Ethnological Studies No.7, pp.119-137
- A comparative study of crude drugs in Southeast Asia X: Crude Drugs derived from Equisetum species. Chemical and Pharmeceuticul Bulletin 25(5): 1135-1139. (Collaborated with Aya Nitta, & Tagaeto)