- B.A. University of Tokyo 1986
- M.Soc, University of Tokyo 1988
- Coexistence and conflicts of religious traditions in South Asia
- Relationship between the religious nationalism and the daily religious practice in India
- Impact of the growth of the urban middle class on the changes of religious festivals in India
Rajasthan and Gujarat, India, Cultural Anthropology, Religious Anthropology
Publications (English publications only)
- Human and International Security in India. Minoru Mio, Crispin Bates, Akio Tanabe (eds.) London:Routledge.
- Community of retrospect: spirit cults and locality in an old city of Rajasthan. in Minoru Mio, Crispin Bates (eds.) 2015 Cities in South Asia. London:Routledge.pp.210-227
- [interview] Thapa, A. Singh, Scud to Become Nepal Encyclopedia: Makito Minami. Nepal’s Well-Wishers in Japan: A Short Biography (Japanese Well-Wishers to Nepal), pp.102–115. Kathmandu: Miteri Manch Nepal.
- Looking for Love and Miracles: Multivocal Composition and Conflicts among Believers in a Sufi Mausoleum Festival of Rajasthan, India. Bulletin of the National Museum of Ethnology 2004 29 (1): 21–41
- National Discourse and Local Conflict: How Modernity Intervened in a Conflict over the Administration of a Sufi Saint's Mausoleum in Mewar, Rajasthan. In H. Kotani, T. Fujii and F. Oshikawa (eds.) Fussing Modernity: Appropriation of History and Political Mobilization in South Asia. (JCAS Symposium Series 11), pp.131–146. Osaka: National Museum of Ethnology.
- Faith, Identity and Communal Discourse: Some Ethnological Considerations on the Conflicts over the Administration of a Sufi Saint's Mausoleum in Rajasthan. In Steering Committee of the Research Project Institutions, Networks and Forces of Change in Contemporary South Asia (ed.) Rituals as Popular Culture: towards Historico-Anthropological Understanding of Modern Indian Society, pp.1–57.
- “Professor Srinivas and the development of social anthropological village study of India in Japan” at The International Workshop on M.N.Srinivas and Sociology of India. Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi. (February 26, 2016)
- “Opening Address”, Diversity-driven Path of Economic Development; Small Scale Production, Commodity Consumption and Socio-cultural Representation in Modern India. London; London School of Economics and Political Science. (January 28, 2012)
- “Conflicting Identities and Levels of Ritual Participation in a Sufi Mausoleum Cult of Rajasthan, India.” Annual Meeting of the American Folklore Society at Columbus, Ohio.